“If I knew then what I knew now…”
Every seasoned employee has had this thought at one point in time. Starting your first job is a huge endeavor and there are bits of professional wisdom every employee should know to be successful. Here are JB Training Solutions’ 10 keys to workplace success:
- Embrace the unknown as a challenge. 95% of your job will be on the job learning. See your new projects and responsibilities as learning opportunities. Don’t be afraid to figure it out. Explore, discover, and have fun with it.
- Always have an opinion. Have an answer to “What do you think?” This will make you part of the conversation, and it will help you hone your decision-making skills.
- Failing is learning. You won’t always have the “right” answer; see it as a learning opportunity. Never turn down a new project because you are intimidated or afraid to fail. Think outside the box and try new things.
- Under promise, over deliver. It is always better to exceed expectations than not to be able to meet them.
- Focus on quality versus quantity. More is not necessarily better. Flawless execution is imperative to instill trust in your company and brand. Attention to detail is everything, so triple check everything. Treat every assignment as though the CEO will be evaluating it.
- Have solutions for problems. Always brainstorm answers and solutions for problems. Ask for guidance or input, not the answer.
- Own your position and duties. See your duties through, from start to finish. Don’t be afraid to take complete ownership in all you do.
- Join a professional organization. This exposes you to professionals outside of your company. This will allow you to attend relevant professional development programming.
- Keep a positive attitude. The professional world is based on 90% perception, and 10% reality. You attitude
- Find work/life balance. Do something for you every day. Find something you love to do in your new city.