Cultivating team resilience during periods of change is crucial for managing through the change curveballs and ensuring long-term organizational success.
Here are some tips for managers navigating workplace changes:
🗣️ Open Communication
- Foster and model transparent communication with your team by keeping them well-informed about the changes and the reasons behind them. Don’t have an update for them? Let them know that you don’t have an update at this time – but that you’ll continue to keep them in the loop.
- Provide a roadmap for how the changes will be implemented and how they will impact day-to-day operations.
👀 Seek Feedback
- Be approachable and encourage team members to share their concerns and ideas throughout the process of change – not just after the change has been adopted.
- Make adjustments to your management approach to demonstrate that their input is heard, valued, and incorporated.
- Encourage a learning culture where mistakes are viewed as opportunities for improvement.
- Understand that change can be challenging for your team members and acknowledge the impact on mental health and well-being.
- Practice empathy and actively listen to their concerns. Be open about your own experiences with change and share strategies that have helped you cope.
- Set boundaries and encourage your team to do the same to prevent burnout.
📖 Learning Culture
- Keep yourself well-informed about the reasons behind the change and the expected outcomes. Ask questions – especially if your direct reports don’t have the line of insight as to why this change is happening.
- Stay updated on industry trends and best practices related to the changes occurring in your workplace, so that you can be a go-to ‘expert’ for your team members.
- Demonstrate resilience and model the behaviors/attitudes you expect from your team. Your ability to adapt and lead through change sets the tone for the entire team.
🎉 Celebrate Successes
- Empower your team by giving them ownership over certain aspects of the change process.
- Recognize and celebrate small victories and achievements along the way.